View Single Post
Old 12-16-2011, 07:28 AM   #41
Porrick
Going nowhere fast

Oddometer: 99
Quote:
Originally Posted by greer View Post
Bump for me; I'd like to hear some opinions, please. Here's what I'm looking at so far:

Happy Trails SL rack and Mojave bags:

http://www.happy-trail.com/Mojave-So...Bags-Pair.aspx

The Happy Trails DR rack & Mojave kit is about $400

Then there's the nice stuff from Wolfman. The DR rack and Expedition bags are also about $400.

Either one of those kits would be bullet proof, I'm sure. But in the interest of keeping luggage weight low and forward, I'm wondering if I'd be better off with the Happy Trails OSR or Ebay side racks and fasten Ortliebs or some such to those. What do you all think??

Sarah
I don't have pics with me, but another soft bag option to consider (and relatively inexpensive and light) is Dirt Bagz with a dry duffle.

I run DBz Rangers, a medium Seattle Sports roll top dry bag, a Wolfman Enduro, and Tusk tank panniers -- if needed. If you don't load the duffle too much, you can keep the weight fairly low and this gives enough storage for me for up to a week if I pack light. This also leaves plenty of room for add-ons (like chairs and stuff) strapped on the back. Note the DBz are not waterproof, but I use trash or dry bags and my stuff stays dry.

Porrick
Porrick is offline   Reply With Quote