View Single Post
Old 12-18-2011, 08:39 AM   #28
harcus OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,309
Quote:
Originally Posted by team ftb View Post
Harcus - Great thread, thanks a bunch for getting it started and your efforts so far.

I've been adventure riding a KTM 525 through Southeast Asia for a few years now and looking at the 500 as a replacement if it can withstand the vigors. So I'm subscribed to your thread with baited breath.

One thing I noticed with luggage brackets is they always would end up breaking and usually not in convenient locations. I ended up fabbing these brackets up for the 525.

All the times I broke prior brackets it was where the top left portion of the bracket (in the pic) connected to the chassis. I made some minimal brackets to see if I could reduce the leverage that crashes put on the brackets. Once I fabbed these things up I never cracked or broke a bracket again. The idea is that the bracket only keeps the saddlebag out of the wheel and not used for load carrying. Also when crashed the weight of the bike laying on its side puts a lot of load and stress on brackets causing failures. These small brackets I believe, when crashed had very little leverage placed on them in comparison to standard brackets as they were flush up against the sidepanels, muffler and airbox.

I used the brackets with DirtBagz and sadly this bike is on its side a lot, luckily 3 years and no bracket issues. You may be looking for something completely different for all I know but thought I'd throw it out there for you to peruse.

Best of luck with the 500 and curious with what you and others come up with on this bike.
FTB

This is good feedback. That looks to be an "adverse environment".

About your rack mod... It appears that you made your mini pannier supports our of flat stock...maybe 25 mm x 3 mm ? Also look like you attached to the muffler can bolt on the RH side. What on the LH? Are the other subframe attach points stock or did you add your own?

Your pannier bracket mod eliminated the lower end of the DBz bracket. That reduces the bending moment on the bracket thus ruducing failures. I see n repair quite a few DBz brackets with cracks at the end points . So this makes sense. This does allow the bag to be unsupported at the lower end but apparently this is not an issue.

I see you have a large tank, a steering damper, a bash plate, handguards (probend?). More?

Tell us more about your setup & how you use the bike. Many people wonder how well a street legal race bike will stand up in everyday use. Like...
1. How has the bike done reliability wise?
2. What maintenance do you do, when?
3. How much load do you carry in the bags?
4. How many km / week?
5. Any problems with the subframe?
6. What is your biggest problem w/ this bike in this environment?
7. Year of bike n kms?
8. What is on your wish list for the replacement bike?

Thanks for the input! Tell us more!

Current rides - '14 KTM 1190 R Adv <2k, '07 990Adv 39k, '12 500EXC 7k, '09 GasGas 300 Raga
harcus is offline   Reply With Quote