View Single Post
Old 12-21-2011, 09:50 AM   #46
pip_muenster OP
curious

Oddometer: 410
Talking Day 8

This morning we had to take some decisions.
  • Ernst had only 2 weeks on Iceland and was urging to cross to the south coast.
  • Maddin was still not feeling better and thought about a hotel for a day or two.
  • My bike needed the fork seals replaced.
Inmate and burger fan McFuryMcNuggets had given us great input for the trip and also knew about a garage in Reykjavik. We had also been in contact with Christian who've had broken his read bearings and then had them replaced by 'some guy' in Akureyri - the largest city in the north of Iceland.

Since Benni was up for everything, he and Ernst teamed up to cross the highlands. Maddin and I decided to go to Akureyri where he could stay in a warm hotel while I got my bike fixed. We agreed to keep in touch and said goodbye.

About halfway to Akureyri, the Godafoss was a nice opportunity for a rest. It is one of the most famous and most photographed water falls on Iceland. This is not because of its beauty or maybe its size (there're bigger and more impressing ones), but purely because you can drive your standard rental car right up to its edge.

The Godafoss

Finally we arrived in Akureyri and all we had to do now was finding the address of the garage. The directions lead to a soccerfield. Was that some kind of a joke from a Blues Brothers wannabe?

Jake: "They got your name, you address."
Elwood: "No, they don't got my address. I falsified my renewal. Put down 1060 West Addison."
Jake: "1060 West Addison? That's Wrigley Field."

We asked at the next gas station and were directed to a nearby workshop. This was for cars, but we could see the end of a dirt bike through one of the windows. They looked at the bike and told us that they couldn't help.They said there was no motorcycle shop in town, but they knew however a guy who was reparing bikes in his spare time.
I called him and he was very supportive, immediately agreeing to repair the bike, if we could bring the spares. I asked him about repairing a purple & golden Africa Twin (kinda difficult to forget), but he said that it must have been 'the other' repair guy in town. Another phone call confirmed that the ADAC could have flown in new seals and brake pads within 48 hours. So that was Maddin's time frame to get well.

Our next goal was to find some hotel. After calling every single guesthouse and hotel in the area, we finally got a room in a hostel/guesthouse right in the city center. Then we went for the best restaurant we could find and had dinner.