View Single Post
Old 12-21-2011, 11:48 AM   #50
pip_muenster OP
curious

Oddometer: 425
Day 11

The next morning I looked out of the window and knew immediately that there wasn't much sleep in my future. There was a music festival coming up and the main stage was right in front of our guesthouse.

Loudspeakers being unloaded

The spares were one day late. They'd arrived on Iceland yesterday morning, but the flight from Reykjavik to Akureyri had been canceled. At least, that's what we'd been told.
So we did a short trip up the coast to see Siglufjoerdur. There's a new tunnel which you've got to pass, and these Icelandic tunnels are fun: They're single track roads with occasional wider spots where you could stop and give way to oncoming traffic. They're also only barely lit. Then, we got the phone call, we've been waiting for: You got mail!

Back in town, a packet was waiting for me

So we left the bike with Jon and went partying ...

It was well past 10pm when he called me: "Your bike is ready." He'd done a good job, and was way cheaper than a BMW mechanic back home.

Jon with the GS

So what I've learned here is that the standard fork spring settings for German highways are too soft for rough roads and a loaded bike (go figure ...). I had tightened up the preload on the rear spring, but had forgotten the front one. That had caused the damage.
Also, the guy's loved making fun of me after the seal incident: "GS is no motocross bike."
From now on I rode with more preload and never had these problems again.