View Single Post
Old 12-22-2011, 03:44 AM   #34
roger 04 rt OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poolside View Post
When the catalyst is provided a sufficient quantity of oxygen and fuel ingredients, the oxidation process in the catalyst becomes hot enough to turn the stainless steel exhaust components into solder. There is a way around this. ...

Thanks for the scare! ;)

In the ranges I'm running, there has been a lot of data taken by others and it's not at all a concern to me. During warm up, my motorcycle runs in the 12s and low 13s. (Others have even disconnected the O2 entirely.) As I side note, I've been monitoring converter temperature and it hasn't risen or dropped noticeably. Interestingly, the temperature going into the Cat is much lower as the mixture is richened.

A misfiring cylinder with raw fuel entering the converter could do a lot of damage, like you mention, especially if there is an air leak to provide the amounts of oxygen needed.

Lastly on the issue of risk, the performance gains alone make a small risk (if it even exists) worthwhile. Flying is a risk, motorcycle riding is a risk, my age is a risk. I think I'll just find the best points (the high low limits of Lambda) and enjoy the smooth performance and riding when the spring comes to the Northeast. I should have things worked out by then!

Happy Holidays to All,
Roger
roger 04 rt is offline   Reply With Quote