View Single Post
Old 12-23-2011, 02:12 PM   #68
pip_muenster OP
curious

Oddometer: 429
Day 15

As promised, the sun came out the next day. We wanted to reach the most western point of the West Fjord, basically by following the coastal road number 60, later 62.
It was still very windy and at times I had the impression that Maddin who was riding in front of me had to lean right even in left bends. Even the sheep had stopped playing dodge ball on the roads and were taking a sunbath instead.

Sunbath

Great roads and views

Mandatory photo stop at the oldest steel ship on Iceland

Latrabjarg is one of the largest bird cliffs and puffin colonies in the world. It is also the westernmost point of Iceland, and as such of Europe (although technically already on the American side of the Mid-Atlantic-Ridge).
There are thousands of birds nesting on the cliffs, and the photogenic puffins use to occupy the cliffs edge at the top. As a result you can get very close and basically pick one for dinner, if you don't mind the other tourists screaming in horror and disgust ...

Damn, that's too close - where's my other lens? (photo: Maddin)

Oh, by the way, the road 612 connecting Latrabjarg with road 62 is especially great should you suffer from vertigo. The cliff is falling down right into the water and there are some nice blind bends without barriers between you and the sky.

Route 612 to Latrabjarg

We turned back and followed the coastal road. It was getting late and following the road up and down the fjords seemed endless.

Stunning scenery in the West Fjords

From time to time the road turned inland and did s shortcut across the mountains. This brought us up to the clouds where it was cold and wet. Above about 450m there was snow left on the rocks.

Snow and fog in the mountains

When we reached our camp at the foot of the Dynjandi water fall it was again past midnight. It was time to find some sleep and the water fall was singing our lullaby.

pip_muenster screwed with this post 01-04-2012 at 03:47 PM
pip_muenster is offline   Reply With Quote