Thread: Devil's highway
View Single Post
Old 12-24-2011, 07:35 PM   #14
Purcell69
Mors ex Tenebris

Oddometer: 3,607
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xskydiver View Post
I was told the same thing last year which it's why I did it the other direction last year. The Cabeza Prieta NWR had a long standing "policy" of not issuing permits to motorcycles. The Marines in Yuma however, have no such policy so I got my permit from them last year. After asking a few questions and not liking the answers, I got the Blue Ribbon Coalition involved who brought in the AMA. We were able to find specific wording in the travel management plan allowing motorcycle access. Then after a few more months of the refuge manager convincing his bosses to do the right thing they finally issued a press release stating the refuge would be reversing the policy and begin issuing the permits. Thanks to the newly appointed manager Sid Slone for making it happen.
That's awesome! When I was stationed in Yuma, I ventured in along El Camino Diablo a little ways down the established trail on my DR350. Wasn't supposed to be there, but... I only traveled a few miles since I didn't want to anger the Feds. I would really love to make the full ride.

Nice going, looking forward to the rest of the report.

-Joe

Trust and Respect take years to earn, but can be lost in a moment.

Life's too short to hold a grudge. -Joe
Purcell69 is offline   Reply With Quote