View Single Post
Old 12-25-2011, 10:36 PM   #22
Xskydiver OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 224
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave6253 View Post
Xskydiver,

Great report. This road has also been on my bucket list for awhile, but the deep sand kind of scares me. I can't wait to see the rest. I've read those metal grates in the road were to support military tanks. Dunno...

I had given up on getting a permit for the bike and was planning a trip with my friend's 4x4. A fellow inmate sent me the press release awhile back saying they would now allow street legal motorcycles. He suggested we attack it together, but I don't know. I'm skeered of the deep sand.

Even though permits are now issued, the Cabreza Prieta NWR is closed for a large chunk of the year for some special sheep mating grounds.
It's closed from March to July. You really need to go in the winter anyway. Summer temps get easily over 100 even into the 110s is not uncommon for the area. Where the landing mats are is still on the refuge not the bombing range. The roads there are too narrow for tanks anyway. I don't think they use tanks anywhere on the range. At least I didn't see any evidence of them.

As far as the sand goes, there's definitely a learning curve. I'm pretty comfortable with sand on my 525 but this is a whole different animal. Next time I'm going to have my suspension set up better, have a stabilizer, and pack the weight much lower. That should help.

Xskydiver screwed with this post 12-25-2011 at 10:39 PM Reason: Spelling
Xskydiver is offline   Reply With Quote