View Single Post
Old 12-28-2011, 05:57 PM   #183
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,128
The heat shield...............

Ok gang....

Cush suggested that 4 ties would make for neater job - one at each end and one on each side of the dog-leg ... I agree 4 ties is better, I'll kit it out that way.
At $20 this is likely the cheapest farkle I'll have on the bike ...

I need to get 10 - 12 folks interested to make it work, I've got three so far... If you want one let me know,
the stuff is a bit cheaper than I thought, if first class USA postage is OK with everyone I can include that in the $20 kit price. What you would get is 4 stainless steel ties 3/16" x 8" long and an ~ 12" x 3" piece of the 1/4" think heatshield material which will give you about a 2/3 wrap around the pipe or you can trim it narrower if you wish...
I'll play with it when I get it....

Honestly I don't know how much it will help, there may be something else going on here...
shut style regulators are quite common so root cause might be some design flaw.......but a rise of 10 degrees celcius doubles the rate of most chemical reactions, likely including the heat-related aging of the stator insulation, so while the root cause may lie elsewhere I think this is a good idea for $20....

If you want in PM me, and if I get enough interest y'all can PayPal me the money and I'll get us set up, it really doesn't seem cost effective without about 10 folks ...

Jim
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote