View Single Post
Old 12-30-2011, 01:03 AM   #204
Steveman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 471
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebrabaek View Post
You might be right...... But I find it strange though...... As that is an easy reached limit...... Even for room temp cured epoxys. The epoxy I use that require post heat cure has a upper temp limit of about 250 deg C. And wont break down until 325deg C. That same epoxy is in fact used in potting.....

ErlIng
Referring to Joels post #200 it seems the Bosch guy did tell me bullshit.

So considering that temperatures around 150 to 180 C (300-350F) would be still acceptable we can drop the idea of overheating due to high ambient temperatures in combination of heat radiaton of the exhaust pipes. I can not imagine that the rotor gets that hot just due to the mentioned reasons. What do you think? I mean if the engine is designed that way why is there obviously no cooling for the stator coil? Or does the oil cool the stator and we just dont know how it works (a schematic of the oil system could help)?

I worked as car technician and then changed over to aircrafts so I know all kinds of engines and motors with pistons, rotary pistons and turbines. Oil temperatures in piston engines do not exceed 120C (250F) under normal operation conditions. Measured at the correct measuring point, which is not the sump, drain plug or at the dipstick.

As reported theres not much oil cooling the stator, right? No nozzels spraying oil at the stator and not enough oil in the engine housing that could cool the stator. Is this a poor desing or what is the idea behind? Why does BMW say use mineral oil (instead of synthetic)? Why is the F8 equipped with an oil/water heat exchanger (it is not an oil cooler, literally), its not high revving and it has a huge water cooler. There are bikes with more power and smaller radiators having no oil cooler....

Strange.... and I have no clue what else we could try :(

Steve
Steveman is offline   Reply With Quote