View Single Post
Old 01-02-2012, 08:47 AM   #1
Daithi OP
Destination Unknown.

Oddometer: 176
Thumb DRZ400 Forks, Rear Disk & HPN Tank on a R100 GS Paris Dakar

I took this bike (above) out for a spin on a few trails and found the suspension and brakes to be lacking so I did a search on here and found the thread on
GSifying an RT link: HERE which inspired me to have a go myself. I checked out Ebay and a few local classified type websites and came across a set
of DRZ400E forks and yokes, a Remus silencer, a HPN Tank and saddle.

I stripped all the PARIS DAKAR stuff (I have it all complete and stored safely), even before I tried the forks out I had to see how the HPN tank would fit.
The oil cooler was in the way, and in moving the cooler this negated some of the need for the crash bars.(need to source a bolt on sidestand).

I straightened out the tubes to the cooler and reversed them to allow the cooler to be mounted under the headstock, much like the Touratech kit.
I did consider putting a bypass block on it as we don't get the temperatures here to need an oilcooler, but patience isn't a trait of mine so this will
have to do for a while.

Once the DRZ stuff arrived I put it together thinking all I'd beed is a couple of spacers to make up for a longer stem
length, the GS bearing size is 52x28x16 but the DRZ bearing size is 55x30x16.... luckily there is a 52x30x16 available
which got me sorted, popped out the old races and in with the new.

The longer stem needed packing of about 5mm so I routed in the boxes of nuts and bolts and found a 6mm collar with an ID of 30mm, greased the
bearings and bolted it all together.

Daithi screwed with this post 06-28-2014 at 07:57 AM
Daithi is offline   Reply With Quote