The next problem was the forks and clamps didn't come with a brake system or an axle bolt and neither did the front wheel, I now have a DRZ
which has now become a temporary donor bike.
The silencer, the original was rotten with rust, but the one I'd picked up was perfect for what I wanted but was way too long, so I drilled out the
rivets and chopped 4 inches off and re-riveted it (below).
I had a couple of TKC80's from another bike so I put them on, I had a target date for New Years Day for a spin so I did take a few short cuts.
I had a set of Magura bars from the XChallenge and fat bar-adapter lower clamps but no top clamps so I had to make them, luckily I found the
right size drill in work, SORTED.
The next problem was the Throttle Vs Brake master cylinder, I wanted to use the DRZ brake system but the BMW unit incorporates the brake and
throttle with two cables running to a carb each.
I used the DRZ master cylinder and a borrowed spurious single cable throttle (thanks Gunner) along with the splitter from the choke to cable the carbs.
Worked a treat, looks a bit home made but shouldn't give any trouble.
I never liked the bulky rear mudguard so I found and old tail-piece from a DR which I used, so all the original plastics are now in a box safe and sound.
I've a bit of tidying up to do with switches and mudguards and I like to put a disk on the back like Phreaky Phil did but for the time being I'm delighted
with the results. I've taken the bike for a spin on the road and it handles very well, there's a lot more ground clearance, infinitely lighter and the brakes
are fantastic, I'm looking forward to a trail ride on it.