View Single Post
Old 01-02-2012, 02:25 PM   #216
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,160
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtbob View Post
After reading all these posts and looking at a couple of other blogs Aprillia, rotax, Denso. I've come to the opinion...I stess opinion..that ambient engine heat, exhaust headers, skid plates etc have no effect on this failure.

The Aprillia fix seems to be a second ground on the regulator...implying if the regulator ground degraded it cause the stator to over heat.

Some stator failures show only a few coils are over heated, other show the whole stator over heated.

All this seems to indicate an age related failure of the charging system which manifests itself as stator failure.

Sure wish BMW/Rotax/Denso would speak up on this and put the speculation and all the wasted effort to a end.
VTBob:
I just took my R/R off the bike.... I'm stunned ...........
If there is supposed to be a ground ground connection from the frame of the bike to the regulatore ...
It sucks ... sucks real bad...

Let me count the ways:

1) the heatsink shell of the regulator is anodized (?) or otherwise passivated...
anodizing does not conduct eletricity well, so I hope it's something else...
anyway... it's a less than ideal "contact interface"

2) there are a pair of thick washers between the back of the regulator and the bracket
I'm not sure why they are there ... they are not mentioned in the Rev. 4 BMW manual...
Maybe for better heat disappaiton....
Anyway... add two more contact "interfaces" ... they are steel washers and conduct OK,
but ... add two more "contact interfaces"

3) The screws holding down the R/R + washers do NOT screw into threaded holes in the bracket,
rather there are two tinnerman clips on the backet and the bracket is painted.
No special preparation seems to have been done (masked off spot on bracket ...)
to enhance electrical conductivity... this is a very crappy "contact interface"

4) The bracket is bolted to the frame with two more screws and guess what ....
No special preparation seems to have been done (masked off spot on bracket ...)
to enhance electrical conductivity... this is a very crappy "contact interface"

Are we SURE that grounding is supposed to be done through the frame of the regulator???
Because if it is... well this is a serious issue...........
I'm going to go find the wiring diagram................

JRWooden screwed with this post 01-02-2012 at 02:40 PM
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote