View Single Post
Old 01-02-2012, 05:50 PM   #223
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,116
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtbob View Post
I also went to the Haynes manual and only found the wiring diagram. It shows two wires going to the battery return. this seems to imply the current is at least some times large enough to require two wires. ..and likely good connections on those two wires.

Battery connections are prone to corrosion. Tomorrow I'm going to check my battery connections...Haynes says they are the heavy brown(1.25) wires. The wiring diagram says there should be another very heavy (6) brown wire from the battery going to frame which acts as the starter return path, spark plug return etc.

In the wiring diagram there is no indication that the Regulator is chase grounded so JRWooden findings seem to confirm there is no chassie ground there.
In my manual it shows two @ 1.5 wires -- I'll "assume" (yes I know) that the 1.5 means 1.5mm wire diameter...
1.5mm is roughly equal to 14 AWG and for the length of the run back to the battery 2 conductors @ 14 AWG or even two @ 1.25mm would be adequate ....

I'm not sure where all the ground wires get bonded together ... I don't think it is AT the negative terminal,
but wherever it is... as new as these bikes are, I would not think that this would be the problem....

... and ... I'll have lost all faith in German Engineering if I find out they were relying on a ground path being available thru the heatsink of the regulator .... so I'm not sure where that leaves us, but I think I'd rather be over here:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=163155
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote