View Single Post
Old 01-02-2012, 07:26 PM   #64
RevBill
Irreverent Reverend

Oddometer: 2,123
Tag #6 ..

.. here we go .. had a great day out banging around Rockingham, Stokes, Surry, Yadkin, Iredell, Davidson, Forsyth, and back up through Guilford .. picked up Tag #5 in Stokes and hit a site in Iredell (that was actually just barely out of bounds) and was on my way to Montgomery to pick up a shot at a covered bridge (hint - that will be a future tag for the NC-TOR Game) .. my plan was to then head up to the in-laws .. well .. plans change .. I picked up a nail in Iredell County (there used to be a one-lane bridge on a dirt road that the NCDOT beat me to and have already widened the road, paved it, and put in a modern bridge .. Google Maps still shows the one dirt and one-lane bridge, Huie Road, Union Grove, Iredell County in fact) .. regardless, I had a great day riding and then limping home with a leaky tire ..

... got to see plenty of sights like this ..

.. so .. to make a short story longer .. heading home I passed two locations I though would be good for a tag .. this is the one I thought was the most interesting .. and it should be an easy find with a little google-fu and the clues on the sign ..

.. heading East it looks like this ..

.. heading West is looks like this ..

.. and a closeup of the plaque/marker ..

Interestingly enough there is some info on the web about this marker and it's location .. I actually had no idea it existed, I just happened to notice it and spun back around to just see what it was .. got home and did a little reading and learned a little something too ..

.. there is a bridge nearby named after this gentleman as well .. it's a modern bridge though, nothing spectacular .. I had no idea this airman was from NC though .. that, I think, is pretty amazing ..

EDIT - I confess .. I am pushing the rules (#2) here a tad .. it is a picture of private property taken in a private driveway, but taken in the right-of-way along a public road .. yeah .. I know .. I'm a rebel ..

RevBill screwed with this post 01-02-2012 at 08:07 PM
RevBill is offline   Reply With Quote