View Single Post
Old 01-02-2012, 07:52 PM   #66
ggrjr
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 965
Quote:
Originally Posted by RevBill View Post
.. here we go .. had a great day out banging around Rockingham, Stokes, Surry, Yadkin, Iredell, Davidson, Forsyth, and back up through Guilford .. picked up Tag #5 in Stokes and hit a site in Iredell (that was actually just barely out of bounds) and was on my way to Montgomery to pick up a shot at a covered bridge (hint - that will be a future tag for the NC-TOR Game) .. my plan was to then head up to the in-laws .. well .. plans change .. I picked up a nail in Iredell County (there used to be a one-lane bridge on a dirt road that the NCDOT beat me to and have already widened the road, paved it, and put in a modern bridge .. Google Maps still shows the one dirt and one-lane bridge, Huie Road, Union Grove, Iredell County in fact) .. regardless, I had a great day riding and then limping home with a leaky tire ..

... got to see plenty of sights like this ..

.. so .. to make a short story longer .. heading home I passed two locations I though would be good for a tag .. this is the one I thought was the most interesting .. and it should be an easy find with a little google-fu and the clues on the sign ..

.. heading East it looks like this ..

.. heading West is looks like this ..

.. and a closeup of the plaque/marker ..

Interestingly enough there is some info on the web about this marker and it's location .. I actually had no idea it existed, I just happened to notice it and spun back around to just see what it was .. got home a did a little reading and learned a little something too ..

.. there is a bridge nearby named after this gentleman as well .. it's a modern bridge though, nothing spectacular .. I had no idea this airman was from NC though .. that, I think, is pretty amazing ..

Seen this marker several times, and never even bothered to read it, It is on the back road to my house from Winston.

2005 DL 1000
93 VFR
ggrjr is offline   Reply With Quote