View Single Post
Old 01-02-2012, 09:42 PM   #51
Adv Grifter
on the road o'dreams

Oddometer: 6,128
Quote:
Originally Posted by J Lewis View Post
So, the biggest hurdle seems to be that a lot of the guys that are interested in participating at any level would also like to rent bikes.

I have tried to make contact with some guys who rent plated bikes, since a lot of the routes we would use require this and have had no luck. There are strict dirt bikes available but that really limits the where you can go.

The upfront costs to have even a few bikes is preventative for me at this point, maybe by next year that will change.

One thing I was considering is, for the guys planning on going onto a rally is coordinate a program where they buy the bike they will race and use it for the training and then have it prepped and shipped to the event. I have a few connections on guys who have done this and some guys that are looking to expand. In fact that is part of the plan that JCR has in the works to expand thier effort.

I also have the capability to safely store bikes if some riders wanted to leave the bike out for the season, which might be an option.

Or maybe someone else has a better idea?

JIMMY
Rental bikes? I would avoid anything to do with running a rental bike fleet .... unless you're thinking of running Adventure Tours & Training ... a la Chris Haines Baja Adventures? Kind of a different deal.

If Nevada is not big enough () ... you could always set up the training in Baja. Use sections of the 1000 and work your way down and back for a week or two. That might work up a sweat ... Go in August to prepare for the Argentine Summer. (Nov. to January)

Seems to me anyone serious about rallies will have to have some bucks or serious sponsors going in. They'd have at least two or three race bikes of their own, no?

They could just use regular 450's to train on ... and attach some sand bags to replicate extra fuel load. Doing the training in Mexico could limit your liability ... a big concern in the USA, no? Better if every rider rides his own bike.

Having ridden with groups in Baja for a while ... I'd not take down more than 6 or 8 riders max. More and it becomes a clusterfuck everywhere you go ... creates problems with food and accommodation. But planning is everything. I'd teach a French course as part of the training.
Adv Grifter is offline   Reply With Quote