Thread: The Grand Rally
View Single Post
Old 01-04-2012, 02:25 PM   #115
HogWild OP
Scott Whitney

Oddometer: 2,518
Quote:
Originally Posted by hilslamer View Post
You probably already know this, but the Coconino National Forest(most of Northern Arizona that is not State land, or reservation) just recently changed their policy for motorized travel to "Closed unless marked."
My current route barely touches Coconino, somewhat for that reason.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drc42 View Post
Now Scott, you have been an ADV guy long enough to know not to ask that question here
There's average "nuts", then there is nuts on the ADV scale. My comment was already calibrated to the ADV end of the scale! Nobody could possibly ride all this in one trip without a full Dakar budget and chase crew with mechanics and spare parts. After prerunning just 1 or 2 stages over a weekend, my butt is kicked.

Quote:
Originally Posted by miguez View Post
Scott, I know you mentioned before that you already have a good group of guys that help you scout these routes. I was wondering, though, if you had any interest in a different group, me included, running some of the new routes after you complete them, as some kind of final test, or if you do that yourself? The advantage of a non-related group being, of course, the fact they have no previous knowledge of the route and would be a great sounding board for the road book being correct/accurate/good. Honestly I'm just trying to find a way/excuse to get out west and ride these routes sometime soon
All "scouting" happens on my computer. And the roadbook is made based on that. Then we "prerun" the route using the roadbook. So, the prerun IS the final test. You're thinking creatively, which is cool, but not creatively enough I guess. And don't start sending me bottles of wine or such. I don't drink. Also, keep in mind the riding should be a lot more fun once everything is done. In the preruns we have to stop a lot to make notes, deal with unexpected blockages, and other problems that take away from the fun. The prerun before last was a big failure and no fun for most who came along. It's cool that people seem to like what's coming and want to join in before it's done, but there's just no practical way to do the preruns with more than a couple of people. And those select people have been putting in their rally dues for several years. Even super guys like Neduro don't get an invite most of the time, even though he's asked. It's killing me to turn so many of my best friends away. But everyone has to wait for the big party door to open, which is still a while off.

While you all are thinking about this, I'm curious what part of the Grand Rally makes you want to do it? Is it the the cool terrain, or the rally style roadbook navigation, or the rally oriented people involved, or the idea of a long challenging adventure, or what?
HogWild is offline   Reply With Quote