Thread: The Grand Rally
View Single Post
Old 01-04-2012, 02:49 PM   #116
miguez
Miguez Rally Racing

Oddometer: 477
Quote:
Originally Posted by HogWild View Post
My current route barely touches Coconino, somewhat for that reason.

There's average "nuts", then there is nuts on the ADV scale. My comment was already calibrated to the ADV end of the scale! Nobody could possibly ride all this in one trip without a full Dakar budget and chase crew with mechanics and spare parts. After prerunning just 1 or 2 stages over a weekend, my butt is kicked.

All "scouting" happens on my computer. And the roadbook is made based on that. Then we "prerun" the route using the roadbook. So, the prerun IS the final test. You're thinking creatively, which is cool, but not creatively enough I guess. And don't start sending me bottles of wine or such. I don't drink. Also, keep in mind the riding should be a lot more fun once everything is done. In the preruns we have to stop a lot to make notes, deal with unexpected blockages, and other problems that take away from the fun. The prerun before last was a big failure and no fun for most who came along. It's cool that people seem to like what's coming and want to join in before it's done, but there's just no practical way to do the preruns with more than a couple of people. And those select people have been putting in their rally dues for several years. Even super guys like Neduro don't get an invite most of the time, even though he's asked. It's killing me to turn so many of my best friends away. But everyone has to wait for the big party door to open, which is still a while off.

While you all are thinking about this, I'm curious what part of the Grand Rally makes you want to do it? Is it the the cool terrain, or the rally style roadbook navigation, or the rally oriented people involved, or the idea of a long challenging adventure, or what?
Great reply Scott. I totally get it, but it's not enough to stop me from dreaming a way in .

I'll be the first to admit that when I ride, I don't pay much attention to the scenery. I know, some of you are thinking I'm nuts. Well, I am! I'm a pilot, and started flying before riding. I'm also unusual in the sense that I learned to fly instruments before flying visually (long story), so from an early age I was "trained" to not look outside. Unfortunately, it stuck.

My satisfaction would come from one thing: facing the navigation challenge and getting it right. The rest is bonus. I'd love to meet some of you, and I'm sure the landscape is amazing, but the former is what would get my juices flowing. Like when I fly an instrument approach down to minimums and get it right, there's no feeling like that in the world.

A close second would be the break downs and mistakes. I LOVE punishment, and like to try and fix things when they break. A devious, malicious part of me is always wishing the bike to break down in the middle of nowhere, or to get stuck deep in some dunes without help in sight.

You may think I'm nuts, but I'm just ADV.

My 2012 Vegas 2 Reno adventure (on a 990 Adventure) starts here!
miguez is offline   Reply With Quote