Thread: The Grand Rally
View Single Post
Old 01-05-2012, 07:08 AM   #121
Seth S
Safari Scramble!!!!!

Oddometer: 4,141
we have a 240 mile loop in Vermont that an old dualsport club put together back in the 90's. The route is mostly trails and dirt roads and can be done in one long day of riding. We have completed the ride in one day several times and I have solo'd it once or twice. While the conditions are different out here and we have access to plenty of fuel and food etc the appeal is still the same. I have most of the navigation memorized but the joy is in the ride...getting better at certain sections and just the joy of a 10 hour day where the only worry you have is the ditch that is coming up or getting up the loose wet gulch of a hill. The grand rally is appealing because it is a big self guided tour/challenge. A chance to see parts of the USA that most people will never see. There is risk involved which keeps you on your game and forces you to ride differently. Its also nice to know that someone has done the work to create a route that will eventually end up somewhere.....instead of blindly exploring a road network that may lead to a nowhere.....these are common in the West...in the East if the road dead ends the worst case is maybe a 5 mile ride back out.

East Coast problems:

My intuition nearly makes up for my lack of good judgement. Just installed my new trolling motor

Seth S screwed with this post 01-05-2012 at 08:03 AM
Seth S is offline   Reply With Quote