View Single Post
Old 01-07-2012, 06:09 AM   #18
Pantah
Red Sox Nation

Oddometer: 10,080
I bought one of the original SM's about 12 years ago. I was transfered to DC for a couple years as a temporary assignment. My company got me an apartment just off Pennslyvania Ave half way between the White House and the Capitol. I bought the bike to keep with me in town as transportation. It was fantastic! Handy like a scooter but fast so I could explore the southeast. And I did! That little supermoto made my life down there.

Basically the bike was an MZ Baghira enduro that the factory converted to a SM by shortening the suspension and changing the gearing. A 660 Yamaha motor in a MZ chromoly tube chassis with real nice italian parts like Marzocchi forks, Gramica brakes and even a WP shock. It was called a Street Moto. The result was a very fine street bike.

It made about 50 HP and had a top speed a little over 100mph. The weight was about 350lbs fully wet. I put 12k miles on that bike over about 3 years and then mothballed it. I only just sold it last March for the measley price of $2k.

I had to make room for another bike, but I was happy because the new buyer knew what a great bike it was.

What I loved about that bike was it's smooth and powerful motor, its supple suspension and how incredibly flickable she handled. What I didn't like was the 3 gallon fuel tank. I had to refuel about every 110 miles, which makes travelling a bit of chore.

It was clearly the very best urban motorcycle I've ever ridden. It made a great sound too. I should have kept it.

I love supermoto's, but for me the most practical bikes are dual sports, so that's what I ride. I put about 60k miles on my KTM 950 the past 6 seasons, and I recently acquired a Yam WR250R that I keep out west to explore with. I am about to sell the KTM and buy a new 2012 KTM 690R for my main ride. I set my dual sports up for travel and go long distances with them. The Yam was so good at it this last summer, I decided the twin was just too much metal. I am hoping the 690 will have a really fun motor like my MZ Baggy, with about the same weight as my Yam, yet have the 80mph cruising ability of my KTM twin.

I've had this sweet thing for 14 years. But it hasn't been ridden in 8. Talk about impractical!

Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote