Thread: Devil's highway
View Single Post
Old 01-08-2012, 05:45 PM   #51
Xskydiver OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 217
Ok, Hopefully I can get this finished up.

After the High Tanks, it was already mid morning. We decided to beeline it to town (Foothills). On the way there I got some more lessons in sand riding. There were more straight sections so I could keep enough speed to keep the front on top of the sand. I also decided to lower the tire pressure (now there's an idea!!) It took about a minute and a half to see the enormous benefit of the lower pressure. The front no longer tried to dig into the side of every rut. If I kept it at about 45mph or so, I hardly noticed the sand. The down side is that you have to turn sometime. Anyway...we made it to town without incident. We didn't take any pictures on the way to town but we crossed paths with several groups out enjoying the area. Alan even found a ratchet strap on the trail that someone lost (it would prove useful later).

We found a little mom and pop fish and chips place on the main drag. Either it was REALLY good or I was REALLY hungry. I can still remember the first sip of Dr. Pepper after having only water for two days.

After lunch and a quick stop for refueling and restocking we headed back out for the return trip. Our "plan" such as it was, was to cut a general Northeast track across the range and see what there was to see.

Our first stop was the La Fortuna Mine. It has a pretty interesting history. There are a few crumbling structures left there.

Among the best was this water reservoir. Here it is from below.

Here it is from above.

Here's a closeup.

Xskydiver screwed with this post 12-01-2012 at 09:29 AM
Xskydiver is offline   Reply With Quote