View Single Post
Old 01-09-2012, 10:37 AM   #151
LC Garage OP
On Any Sunday

Oddometer: 683
Riding & Wrenching

Paul (Oregon Coast) will soon be starting a new 2012 Mexican 1000 thread, so this will be my last major post here regarding Outta Sight Racing and Baja prep, I will continue to post my own projects and race efforts, but we want to keep the bulk of the Baja related material in one location.

Had a great ride yesterday with 3/4 of the OSR riders (sorry Paul Jr. was not there!) ~ Paul Sr., Luke and myself rode in the Tillamook forest on a gorgeous clear/cold day. This was meant to be a training ride and were all on our "modern" bikes. Paul & Luke took it easy at first and when I was able to handle the easier stuff decided to go to a particularly difficult hill. Just getting up the approach of this hill was a challenge and Paul & Luke had to give an assist when I was hung up on a rocky slope. When we hit the main hill, it took three tries before I finally made it, boy was I tired, happy and relieved! Later when we were descending another particularly steep and rocky trail and were stopping for some riders coming up, I used a little too much front brake and had a good view of my mx boots going over my head in the clear blue sky! Because I wear every type of riding protection possible, nothing was wounded except my pride. In three hours we only covered 17 miles, mostly because they had to stop and wait for me. All in all a good ride and a starting point for honing skills and developing conditioning.

OSR Riders V.75 ~ After the ride ~ old guy on the right has been rode hard and put away wet!

Our gracious shop host Lonnie;

Master welder Ray;

Ray mocking up the shocks (pre-loaded length) with rigid struts. Luke is the mathemetician behind all of our chassis geometry, the rest of us chime in with all of our opinions and Luke sifts thru those for anything useful;

Once the struts were in place, we set in a spare motor (for weight) and added the seat, fuel tank and anything else that would help Luke make reasonably accurate assumptions when ordering the new shocks and springs;

The end of a long and productive day, note the care and concern our fearless leader (Paul) shows for the irreplaceable Ray;

Stay tuned for much much more. The scrambler should be finished within the next week and I plan to start the rework of my "barn fresh" twin into something resembling Paul's ultra clean Baja racer.

Our gracious shop host Lonnie;