View Single Post
Old 08-26-2005, 08:18 PM   #12
yater OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 8,517
We finally woke up to blue skies and headed north from Ojo Caliente. On the way out, I stopped at the rio grande gorge for a couple of pics. Locals say people come from miles around to hurl themselves from this span...without parachutes

The pavement ends a few miles outside of town and fire roads web through Carson national forest from Ojo to Colorado and beyond. We weren't on a schedule and had no destination...the only plan was to find a campground that night located on the water (preferably the brazos river).

Andy in the high country..yes, that's an overstuffed wolfman alfa on the back of his klx. It did great on the trip and survived a couple of diggers

Me too

We didn't cross much water, but here's a little sample

Just after this water crossing, as I was following Andy, I saw his white helmet go left, swap right, and dissappear in the brush. My first thought was "oh shit, how will I get him out of here?"...as I came around the corner, he was already on his feet and trying to lift the bike. Turns out the extra weight on the rear of the bike got the best of him and he washed out. The bike suffered a bent rear brake lever but was easily "fixed"

In our quest for the brazos river, we came upon posted land. After guessing our location on my map, we thought it best to backtrack to our last know location and look for a camping spot...the skies were black by this point and monsoon rain was immanent. We settled on an old hunting camp with a running stream nearby...to cool the beer

A view from my tent the next morning

About 1/2 mile up the cowtrail from our campsite, we found this old hunter's cabin. I'm guessing this is a hotspot during elk season...yes ladies, I'm single

yater screwed with this post 08-26-2005 at 09:29 PM
yater is offline   Reply With Quote