View Single Post
Old 01-15-2012, 10:53 PM   #8
rockymountainoyster
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 983
Moto Discovery-Copper Canyon

I rode with MotoDiscovery to Copper Canyon on their first training ride with "Coach" Ramey Stroud in October of 2006. I had had my 2001 1150 GS for just over a year and this was to be my first adventure ride. My "oh shit's" as the bike tipped over when I came to a stop without planning where my left foot was going to go and finding the ground too far from the foot before the bike got to that magical point of no return that the top heavy GS has a way of finding as you step off and prepare to pick the f'er up again became well known. We were ascending out of the canyon and I had stopped to p near that white house you see in many photos... from the road about 1000' vertical feet above me I hear Mark calling out to me.... "My bike went over the cliff" I hopped on my newly upright steed and headed up the hill. Sure enough, there was a forlorn Mark standing in the middle of the rain slick clay road with a forlorn look pointing over the side at his beautiful red 1200 GS lodged against a large maguey of Century plant. That desert plant was the only thing that kept that bike from falling the distance to the road below, just downhill from where I stopped, I took off my helmet set it on my bike and it immediately went after Mark's bike... shit... now I have to crawl down there... I took a look at the bikes situation and wonder how the hell are we ever going to get that monster out of there. It was getting late in the day, the weather was threatening, the rest of the group, including Ramey and Mike Paull on their Urals and the rest of the riders joined us scratching our heads on the road. Along came or support vehicle driver, the legendary Juan Stanglmaier of Mexican Rally fame, and there was no way he was not going to get that bike out of there that night. He had a schedule, and a girlfriend, to keep. It was starting to get colder and dark so Juan asked me to ride back with Ramey or maybe he asked Ramey to ride back with me (wink) to the hotel. I think Mike Paull went with us as his leg would not be of much use in the recovery operation. We were sitting at the bar when we heard the group get back around 9PM, they had gotten the bike up and Mark rode it back. Amazing adventure. Some great and legendary companions. It does not get much better. I am so glad that Mark made it back in '07 and got to Batopilas, he really wanted to go there.
rockymountainoyster is offline   Reply With Quote