View Single Post
Old 01-17-2012, 07:25 AM   #74
Mad Cow
Dakar Addict!

Oddometer: 584
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flood View Post

Eurosport nowadays only has Adelaide on the ground, doing a couple of finisher interviews. This is paid for by VW and we have to watch the "extra" footage of her fooling around in the desert, showing off Ze Amarok kaar. Until last year, VW paid a lot more, resulting in more bivouac footage and more Ze Amarok kaar, ze Touareg kaar, Ze Kris Nissen footage.

The show is pre-produced by the ASO media crew, including basic voice-over and interview translation and is then sent out to ES, SBS, NBC etc., where the local talents then do their own voice over.

Concerning the penalties and disqualifications, I'm not 100% sure, but as the Dakar is NOT a FIM/FIA rally, but is running under ASO rules + FIA/FIM rules, the first level of jurisdiction is in fact a commission of ASO sporting/tech officials, with the courts of appeal being the french motorsports association and then the FIM.
Thanks for the clarification.

I was under the impression, gained some years ago from my experience as a UCI Commissaire in cyling that the "ASO Film team" were in fact from Eurosport under contract and therefore different to Eurosport the broadcaster (Adelaide etc).

Having done some searching I realise this not the case and indeed the ASO website says

Quote:
A.S.O. produces or co-produces 700 hours of programmes, enabling 8,000 hours of sport to be broadcast every year to 5 billion viewers around the world. A.S.O. teams are highly experienced in filming, editing and delivering programmes. They also distribute these programmes to around 200 channels worldwide.

Obviously on most major sport events it will be the case that they "buy in" the TV production although I suppose being a such a huge, regular annual event it makes sense for ASO to have an in house capability, especially as they also have the Tour de France, Paris-Roubaix, Liège-Bastogne-Liège, Flèche Wallonne and Paris-Tours, Paris-Nice, Critérium du Dauphiné, Vuelta a España, etc etc

My own expeience includes working on the 2002 Commonwealth Games in Manchester, the Official Games broadcaster was the BBC but was not the same as the BBC covereing the event for UK consumption. The arguments between the two sides of the same company over what should be covered was amusing at times, with BBC World concentrating on the top athletes only but BBC UK wanting more coverage of UK athletes in all positions.

Again as a cycling official, i have a "professional" interest in the rules aspect and my observations were based in part on the fact that in the TV coverage of Robbygate the chairman of the Jury was interviewed and captioned as being from the FIA (and I noted Andorran). That was odd as in cycling we are never identified by our nationality, I still recall from my initial training being told "a Commissaire has no nationality during an event".
Mad Cow is offline   Reply With Quote