View Single Post
Old 01-19-2012, 07:57 AM   #1
andrewgore OP
Team MGH

Oddometer: 3,119
Re-Rehashing my 1974 Kawasaki F7 175

Sometime in 1974\1975 My Grandpa bought off his neighbor a wonderful little enduro, the 1974 Kawsaki F7 175. My Grandpa rode the bike intermittently, but for the most part it sat in my Great-Grandma's garage. It sat there until one fateful day circa 1995/1996 when my brother decided to take it for a spin. I was 10 or so at this point, and apparently quite pissed that I only rode on the back with my brother around the neighborhood. I created a fuss & was told if my feet could touch the ground, I could ride it solo. Probably not the smartest idea my parents had, but hey I was able to ride the thing.......until I topped over in the yard, with the bike pinning me beneath it. Thankfully my brother came running to my rescue and the only scarring that the bike gave me was emotional, burning into me the need to ride motorcycles more and more.

Fast forward a couple years, my grandpa gives the ol' 175 to my brother, who uses it to take the MSF Course & ride to work\visit gf's\etc. He manages to neglect the oil tank on the side of the bike, seizing the bike several times while blasting down the road. Everytime it seized, he managed to get the bike back going & continued to ride, using whatever oil he could get at the time. From then on, we treated the bike rather poorly (unfortunately), yet it continued to take it. I recall vividly one day while having troubles starting the beast, we managed to start the thing on fire. Remarkably this caused no issues & the thing kept running.

The bike then sat in my parents garage for a few years while I got out of motorcycles (or got more modern ones that required less work). I finally decided to get the beast running\slightly fixed up to either ride around off-road, or just have another working bike in the garage. I tossed in some new rings on the bike, as the cylinder\piston still looked great (amazingly enough). Fresh oils, cleaned the carb, chain\sprockets\etc, installed new headlight & we were off to the races. The bike ran, though it never wanted to rev out. It'd top out around 45-50mph, but it ran and so I didn't really bother to deal with it too much.

Well one day I decided to swing home at lunch from work & ride the beast back to work. I just about got out of my subdivision when the thing quit running on me. This was middle of this past summer, so I was in no mood to sit there kicking the beast to try and fire it back up. Being occupied with other bikes, meant that the 175 has sat in my garage until this past week. I began initial investigation, finding that I have no spark.

So, last night I began really tearing into things & tested resistance values on the Stator. Resistance values on everything, other than the Signal coil were spot on, so right now I'm debating what route to take. eBay is a bit light in the F7 175 stator market & I can pick up the materials to do this stator & about 20 others for 50$, so I'm figuring my best bet is to go that route.

Sorry for the long intro, but felt the bike deserved some history. It kind of sucks that to make this bike "trustworthy", it could cost more than buying another bike, but I guess that's what happens when you got a machine from the 70's.

Pic of the bike in January of 2010 up in the UP. The 175 was quickest on the trails, just keep it pinned, and it floated on top of the snow:

Back when I first got it back up and running:

Beginning work with it's friends:

I initially thought that the lighting coil on the stator was bad due to the crease in it, but it chekced A-OK.:

I'll snap some more pics, as I've currently got all the electronics removed. My goal is to simplify wiring & to make the bike trustworthy to ride. I ain't looking to go cross-country, but if I could trust it for day trips out on the trails, that'd rock. It will have headlight\tail-light & that's it for wiring.

More to follow......

Andrew

PS - Oil injection still works great. Pre-Mixin' is for suckas!
andrewgore is online now   Reply With Quote