View Single Post
Old 01-21-2012, 10:20 AM   #9
Thanantos
Ride hard.

Oddometer: 3,512
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babysteps View Post
[FONT=Arial Black][SIZE=3]
Firstly, are the daily distances too ambitious?
On a Harley? No, those figures are nicely conservative.

Quote:
2. I'll be camping as much as possible. I’ve found a site (www.koa.com) that has camp sites at most of my stops. Anyone had experience with these sites?
KOA's tend to be kind of pricey but usually have amenities that other campgrounds might not such as WIFI. I tend to avoid them and prefer to cheaper, more rustic camp sites. Obviously that's a personal choice.

For the money I think I would buy a GPS unit that would allow me to search POI's for campground/hotels.

Quote:
3. What have I missed? I have 3 spare days in my itinerary that can be filled. I'll be on a rental bike, so no hardcore off-road stuff and I want to stay off Interstates as much as possible. I’m more a “What an awesome road and look at that view!” guy than a “on 1879 this happened here” guy.
Can't help there with anything specific. I would have to search just like you.

Quote:

4. Recommendations for a bike rental company that will rent me a Vstrom or something similar? All I can find on the net is Harleys rentals!
[FONT=Arial Black][SIZE=3]5. How much should I budget for gas?
Motoquest does rentals of KLR650, F650GS twin, F800GS and 1200GS's out of the west coast and they have a site in Long Beach, CA.

As far as gas goes expect prices anywhere between $3.50 and $4.50 a gallon. You can calculate it from there based on your route and what bike you use.

2013 V-Strom
Thanantos is offline   Reply With Quote