Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfgang55 View Post
Very good RR.
Hope DAN is doing better.
Thanks, but...
Who is Dan?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarryGee View Post
Wow. Thanks for the memories. Crete is truly one of Greece's gems. My wife and I spent our honeymoon there...
More pictures please !
Glad you liked your stay. Don't expect to see many pictures of places most tourist go see though. The whole point of this thread is about revealing the unexplored side of our island

Quote:
Originally Posted by East Coast Rider View Post
One of my favorite classes in college was a specialized class that concentrated strictly on the Minoan culture...Crete is the at the heart one of my favorite periods of history
I am sorry to say that any Minoan valuables can be found only in the museums. The rest of the Minoan cities, villages or villas lay in ruins, few offer any real sightseeing and those are already closed, guarded archaeological sites (thank god). Don't forget that Minoan culture is at least 3500 years old.
But don't despair!
We have lots of fun ancient Greek cities to explore (Only 3000 years or less old ) and a few Roman ones (bah, only 2000 years old )
Don't forget newer ones like lots of Venetian ruins and (only a few) Turkish and of course a lot of nice Greek Churches etc. Well, history is something we have lots here so stay tuned and we will see what we may find.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yossarian™ View Post
How does the island's southern coast compare; is it as rugged as the northern?
Crete has hundreds of sandy beaches but is mostly covered with mountains. The Northern part is the most delicate part of it and with the major part of its population because of the trade with mainland Greece through the centuries. In our rides we tend to find the most isolated parts of the island, the less populated and more pure parts of it. Perhaps i will post a summer ride one of the following days to give you an example of a less rugged part of Crete.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madv View Post

I love this isle (cause i live there )
wtg guys, keep it rolling
PS I was thinking lately opening a similar topic but you got me....
ΥΓ2: Ακόμα δεν έχω καταφέρει να πιούμε αυτόν το καφέ....
You made your choice and make a career with international travels. I stay low for the time till the kids grow up a bit and explore my beloved island.

ΥΓ: Πράγματι, πρέπει να βρεθούμε καμιά φορά. Τόσα έχω διαβάσει στο blog σου, διάβασες και εσυ κάτι δικό μας, άντε, δικός μας άνρθωπος είσαι πια

markas screwed with this post 01-24-2012 at 12:19 PM
markas is offline   Reply With Quote