View Single Post
Old 01-27-2012, 05:39 AM   #36
rudolf35 OP
Warped & Twisted Mind
 
rudolf35's Avatar
 
Joined: Jun 2008
Location: Arlington, TX
Oddometer: 792
Cool2 OK, the parts are in

The parts arrived and it is time to dig in. The first item to go after are the front forks.


Parts laid out ready to go after it

When I last worked on the /5 I had taken the forks down to their respective components and ended up with a pile of old gaskets and seals; all way past their prime and also found out that there where several missing parts.


Front fork leftovers

The first items that where installed, where the seals. Not a big deal. A little light oil and they popped right in. I made sure they where seated with a 36mm socket and some light tapping with a rubber mallet.


New fork seal installed

After the seals where in, it was time to go after the forks internals. I had the parts laid out in order and with the help of the Clymer and a drawing from Huck's site got the order right. FYI, for the older /5 forks the exploded view on Huck's site is the way to go. Not only is the view right, it cross references the drawing with the images of the parts on his site - a real workload ease.


Internals refreshed and ready to mount

After installing the rings, spring and gaskets it was time to put the dampening rods into the stanchions. Per the Clymer book two thin feeler gauges are needed. That not only was cumbersome, it also would have destroyed the feeler gauges. While I was on the phone with Huck (ordering the parts) he mentioned a trick he uses. He stated that a soda bottle materiel, plastic needless to say, would provide the perfect materiel to use to insert the dampening rod without harming the wiper rings. OK, I cut up a handy soda bottle and got two reasonably straight pieces of plastic.

At first I tried on on either side of the piston but that proved to thick. I then used only one piece of plastic, right where the ring gaps where and voila, the piston slipped right in without damage to the wiper rings (I first coated the inside with a light film of oil).


Plastic guide in use

After the dampening rod was in the stanchion, it was time to start buttoning up the bottom of the stanchion. Now this is where I had a moment of head scratching. In the fork rebuild kit there where two translucent rubbery/plastic rings - WTF are they for? So, back to the Huck exploded view (which I had printed out) and the i-Pad to look at the picture of the parts. Bingo! These two rubber/plastic rings (one each side) goes between the small cap and stanchion. The order was - dampening rod in stanchion, rubber/plastic ring, screw cap then spring ring. Fell together like it was meant to be. It seems that these rubber/plastic rings where omitted by PO. Huck did mention that they tend to fall apart with age; I did not find a trace of rubber pieces when I tore the legs apart.


Rubber/plastic ring on dampening rod in stanchion

That being solved, the rest was a simple button up job. Replaced all the gaskets and washers in the lower outer cap and was rewarded with two rebuild front fork legs.


Fork legs ready to mount

So, the next step will be to install the legs, install the new progressive springs, oil up each leg (280cc per) and then go after mounting the new handlebars and cables - another days challenge.

__________________
2013 Ural Gear-Up, 2008 Fatbob, 1999 Jeep Sahara, 1982 BMW R65LS, 1973 Honda CL350 K5, 1971 BMW R50/5

rudolf35 is offline   Reply With Quote