View Single Post
Old 01-29-2012, 08:42 PM   #15
RexBuck OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 929
Day 5 - Jan 22

Was thinking about taking an extra day in San Felipe but was grumpy from lack of sleep and decided to carry on. Glad I did. Didn’t know what to expect since I knew there was supposed to be a couple hundred km of gravel road so, loaded up on water and snacks and headed south. Got gas first and the Pemex girl tried to stiff me for 10 p – beats the 100 p one guy tried to stiff me last year.

When I first left San Felipe, I kept seeing these roads in the sand running parallel to the paved road. Thought it looked cool and I sould try riding it – looked pretty solid. Guess just quads had been on it – it was soft and deep and my bike sank down like the Titanic and here I am wiggling all over the place like that snake the Honey Badger just caught. Quickly got back on the road – didn’t dump it though!

Turns out the government is slowly paving this road and they now have about 140km of paved and with still 80km not pavedl. Eventually the brand new highway pavement ran out . . . no sign – just humping a long at 120k and realize the road disappears – start to slow and then can see that it not only disappears but turns to dirt, drops down and turns left. Jeebus! Good brakes!

Road from then on was combination of gravel, rock, sand (geez I hate sand) and a combination thereof, oh, and washboard. Like putting the bike on a paint shaker.

Came across three riders heading my direction. Stopped and chatted with them at the store about half way along. Two of them were a couple from Brittan doing a two year round the world ride. The other fellow was a friend of theirs from San Felipe. Nice people. Paul & Angie www.twobikesrunning.co.uk

Stopped at Coco’s corner. What a hoot. I see why everybody talks about Coco. Coco had a good time getting his pic taken with Angie . . . and she added to his collection.

You can rent a room at Cocos

Or, you might want to sit under the stars and watch TV

Paul, a guy from the Learning to Drive a Land Rover group, Angie, Paul, another LDLR and RexBuck.

Left Coco’s headed for Bahia de Los Angeles. Thought I would have to use my spare gas. Decided to see how far I could get. Made it with 0.2 liter left and didn’t have to touch the spare.

Riding down the only road in town checking out the 4 or 5 motels and the owner of one is standing out front waving me in. Go back, nice place, well looked after, good parking back from the road and the owner, Victoria has this huge dog Scooby that I don’t think any ladrón would want to mess with. I’m the only one here - guess it will be a slow night in the restaurant. Within 2 hours there are about 13 dirt bikes here – 3 groups – rooms are packed – restaurant and the bar will be going for a while. Victoria is smiling.

My bike sitting out by itself ready to lure a bunch of dirtbikes in (See Double H's pic above)

Victoria and Scooby

RexBuck screwed with this post 08-14-2013 at 07:58 AM
RexBuck is online now   Reply With Quote