View Single Post
Old 01-30-2012, 12:47 PM   #253
C5! OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 275
Now the whole process.
Started Saturday morning, first I wrapped the exhaust pipe, as suggested by Cowboy. It is cheap and can do no more problems than I already have.
Then I installed the new stator, welded all the connections to the plugs etc.. a job well done .
then continued with the new regulator.
Stated the engine and check the voltage. it started to act very erratically, going from 12 to 16 etc... I stopped the engine, reviewed all the connections, nothing wrong there, started again the engine and voltage constant at about 12, in fact wasn't charging at all. stopped the engine. worked in total for less than 5 minutes.
disconnected the alternator plug and read the voltage between the connectors and ground, 2 phases at about 18 V and 1 phase at 0. OKG not again !!!
went home to have a beer.

On Sunday morning went back to disassemble again the alternator. here is a pic of the "new" stator with only 2 out of 3 phases.

and for those interested, th eother side

Hopefully, I had the old stator rewinded, by the same guy in the same shop in Caracas. btw I asked if the insulation of the wire they are using would support peaks of 400V. They said no problem they are using that same wire in the big engine on the front working at 440V

In any case, I installed the old stator, started the engine, checked that we had voltages in all 3 phases, then connected the regulator, and voila, 14.2 V at the battery.
Did a little ride today and running fine.

Now emailed the people at electroSport this morning and waiting for their comments, and see what kind of warrenty they offer. Was the stator defective? was it not designed for that application?
ElectroSport asked for the unit for testing and possible refund

C5! screwed with this post 01-30-2012 at 05:20 PM
C5! is offline   Reply With Quote