View Single Post
Old 01-31-2012, 03:11 PM   #73
mimo523
Adventurer

Oddometer: 75
I put a deposit on one and should have it in a few weeks, waiting for panniers and extra's to be installed. I owned a '03 F650GS (stolen a few months ago) and had no major problems. I put 20,000 miles on it while I owned it, every summer taking a 2 week on/off road adventure trip. Once the clutch cable broke in Nova Scotia and I used vice grips with the back of my left calf to get to a Marine repair shop where this great mechanic made me one for $20. Canadiens are awesome!
Im planning a half way RTW trip for this year and have been looking at '09 '10 F800GS and '06 '07 dakar's and as others have said it seems worth it to spend a little more than the used Dakar's and get 3 years warranty, its a proven bike and lighter than the 800GS although not by as much as I'd like. Im going solo and want the smaller bike.
I just looked at this thread today because I was afraid of the negative comments and suffering the buyers remorse. Im confident Im getting a great bike because of my experience owning one. Also, an advantage for me is I have had my F650Gs apart doing maintenance and repair from a crash so I dont need to learn a lot about a different bike.
I post back after I get it.
Anybody know rules about warranty if I take it out of the US?
mimo523 is offline   Reply With Quote