Thread: No more BST!
View Single Post
Old 08-31-2005, 12:02 PM   #13
markjenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,322
Quote:
Originally Posted by crankshaft
How can a well jetted Carb compete with a well tuned EFI system with an 02 Sensor, and a map sensor?
Believe me, I'm a believer that FI is better than carbs too (the 950 is off my wish list until the FI version appears), but the key words in your sentence above is "well tuned".

Maybe this FI stuff is more plug-n-play that I think, but my understanding is that it takes a fair amount of work to rig a system with all the sensors working properly, and then develop a reasonable fuel map for a given application. The whole thing reminds me of someone disliking Microsoft Windows and deciding that want to write their own OS. It's just a bunch of drivers, a disk manager, a memory manager, and UI right? Well, in concept, that's true, but the devil is in the details. And to continue the analogy, if you don't like the BST, then the FCR might be the Linux you're looking for.

You should understand that, either due to luck or my low demands/expectations, I have zero complaints about my BST. It seems to carb perfectly for me in all temps and elevations up to 6K feet or so. So I don't see much of a problem that needs solving. But I don't attempt to loft the front end over 8" logs going up hills dodging typerwriter-sized rocks either. It's my adventure bike, not my dirt bike.

Again, I think this is a very cool project and so I don't mean to discourage you. If you like to tinker with this sort of thing, that's extremely cool and I'll be highly interested how it goes. But if you just want a 640 that works better, I think you could get to that goal a LOT cheaper and faster by buying a FCR kit and fiddling with jetting - there is a broad range of experience with FCR setup on our bikes.

- Mark
markjenn is offline   Reply With Quote