View Single Post
Old 02-02-2012, 10:16 AM   #88
Durden
Freak!

Oddometer: 477
Quote:
Originally Posted by jnorton1 View Post
I went and looked at one a week or two ago. I liked the look of it with the new plastics and instruments. When I sat on it, it semed like it was a little taller than my 01 Dakar.

I bought my Dakar with 8k miles on it last Jan. I almost doubled its mileage this year. It took some money getting it road worthy after it basically sat for a few yeas. New brakes, coolant, oil, tires. air filter, fork oil, chain, and sprockets. Not all these needed done but I figured it couldn't hurt. I haven't had any issues with mine outside of taking a rock to the radiator resulting in a slow leak.

If I had the money i would buy a new one without a doubt. My brother has a KLR and whenever I hop on it i instantly feel disconnected from the bike compared to mine. Im extremely happy with mine despite being a bit heavy. I wanted something that was streetable and could still take a beating on Colorado's jeep trails. So far so good, its next test will be baja in few weeks. We will see how it handles Calamuje wash.
Thanks for the insight, as a former KLR owner, I'm hesitant to buy what many call 'a more expensive KLR'. Thats why I was looking at the F800, but after hearing so many positive things about the Dakar/Sertao I think im getting close to a final decision. At least I have a few months before the snow melts :)

If you dont mind me asking - how much did you pay for your 01 Dakar?
Durden is offline   Reply With Quote