Okay, I'm going to document, as well as I can, the restore/modification of my '84 XL600. It will be a long, drawn out process I'm sure as I don't get to work on it as much as should and, as always, money is tight.
I plan to add a little newer suspension and brakes as well as engine impovements all the while keeping it looking like an '84 XL600.
Some of you may know this bike from my thread over on TT but if you don't and would like to see where I started on this bike, go over to TT and click on the XR600/650 forum and search out XL600R/XR650L Hybrid thread.
Alright, we'll pick up where I am now.
I stripped the bike down to the frame and did a few mods. First I test fit an XR650L swingarm and it was a virtual bolt-on deal. Then, eyeballed the position for the rear brake pedal pivot and master cylinder bracket and tack welded them in place. I then took the frame to work and had my boss' son weld them up for me. I ended up doing the pivot twice because I wasn't happy where I had positioned it the first time.
A few pics.
The shock I'm hoping to use is from a 1988 XR600 that I purchased from an inmate.