Thread: New air box
View Single Post
Old 02-04-2012, 09:39 AM   #10
tahoeacr OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,210
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnf3 View Post
It should be oiled for off road use, right? Never seen a dry off road foam filter for a motorcycle.
Yes, it should. I wondered if anyone would catch that. Only put it on for the pics right then. I took my Throttlebodies off first to clean them.

Quote:
NACA ducts only work at high airspeeds, any increase in air pressure would be absolute minimal. i assume its air pressure you would like to increase? but then you would need to seal the airbox area to maintain any ( i suspect zero) pressure increase.
The bottom of the airbox area is sealed all the way up to the front above the radiator. The stock splash guards are removed and all wiring tied up out of the way. I recommend that on any Adventure. The heat soak from the engine is rediculous. On a 65 degree ambient temp day I could easily record 160+ temps in the stock airbox. With everything sealed they stay within 6-8 degrees above ambient. Even though I ride at high airspeeds, the NACA ducts would just be a way of bringing in more air and look better than a big hole somewhere. Before I go cutting anything up I will do some dyno pulls with the glove box off to make sure the gains would be worth the effort.
tahoeacr is offline   Reply With Quote