Well guys, Yesterday I pulled my gearbox for a spline lube at 10K since the last one. The splines were clean except for what little bit remained in the valleys of the teeth. Bike shifted and the clutch action was fine before hand. Previouly used Lubriplate 3000 now used a 50/50 mixture of Loctite Moly paste and Wurth 3000. The Lubriplate has a min of 3% moly the Loctite has 65% plus moly. Thats why I switched.
My 81 R100RT has 161K miles on it. On Thusdsay I went to a dealer in Pittsburgh and on the service rack was an R1100S oilhead with trashed splines. Both the hub and the input shaft were gone....at 15,000. Was the cause, lack of lube due to age, no lube or an alignment problem, who knows.
Sure makes a guy wonder. Obviously I believe in lube. Having owned an antique airplane in the past, preventative maintenance is in my blood.