View Single Post
Old 02-04-2012, 02:42 PM   #1360
pnoman OP
Just Average

Oddometer: 1,904
Quote:
Originally Posted by intothenew View Post
It never ceases to awe me, the amazing powers of perception that Martha commands.

Business trip, Martha's riding shotgun in the work cage. I've got it on cruise, headed toward the center of the universe, daydreaming. "There's a marker" interrupts my dream, I close down on the binders. Short on perception, but my reflexes are still ok.

I've looked the spreadsheet over, from the first post, and didn't see it listed. It would have been akin to blasphemy for us to go through with the schtick, we'll try to get a couple sets of handlebars next to it later this year.

Nicholas County, Mountaineer Expressway (rt 19) South bound lane, Whipporwill Rd, about 1/2 mile South of the Summersville Lake bridge.

"Hawks Nest Tunnel Disaster Workers Grave Site"
Chip/Martha - Great find! Looks like a newly minted 2011 marker. That's just about 1/4 mile away from the Hughes Ferry Bridge marker on Old Rt 19, about 200 yards off the opposite side of the 4-lane. This one looks much closer to the 4-lane.

Seems odd they would put this one here when the original marker site was near Hawks Nest SP on Rt 60, about 25 miles away. But, after reading it closer, this marker is different from the original one. The original marker did not have the workers grave site mentioned in the title or text. This must be where the workers were re-buried.

I'll be sure to update the spreadsheet as soon as possible. I will also shoot Joe Geiger a quick email heads-up.

Thanks for keeping this thread alive while I'm bikeless.

Mike
My Website - Europe, Alaska, US Bike Rides
www.RidingWV.com

pnoman screwed with this post 02-05-2012 at 03:15 AM
pnoman is offline   Reply With Quote