View Single Post
Old 02-06-2012, 06:04 PM   #53
RexBuck OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 975
Day 14 - Jan 31

A pretty uneventful day transiting from Culiacan to San Blas, just west of the city of Tepic. Terrain changed from wide open flat land very conducive to large farming to much smaller family farms, vegetable farms and orchards as the mountains started to crowd in towards the ocean. Agriculture certainly seems to be the predominate employer.

Mountains started pushing towards the ocean and farm land starts to shrink

I had always heard about San Blas and figured I should check it out – was expecting a sleepy tourist beach town. What I saw when I arrived was a very Mexican town. Wandered around looking for a hotel (not having the foresight to find a recommendation) finally found main street and saw a couple of suitable places. Stopped at the Hotel Los Alverez – decent parking, hot water, AC, WiFi . . . 300p. Two 300p nights in a row. Great! Nothing fancy but suits me.

Unloaded the bike and needed a beer. Walked up the street to a little tienda (store) and bought a couple of Barrilitos, another great Mexican beer. (Not many that are at least “good”)

Some vendors on the main street

Mexican meat market

Cooled off, and went looking for dinner. Found the town’s square was just hoppin. Turns out the town has a cultural week and tonight features a singer. So, a big percentage of the town turns out, usually as families. I really enjoy just watching the people and Mexican families are at the top of that list. The Mexican families I have observed seem to be pretty tight. They enjoy doing things together and older kids will play with younger kids. They seem to be pretty happy.

Kids playing in the center of the town's Zócalo
RexBuck is online now   Reply With Quote