View Single Post
Old 02-07-2012, 10:07 AM   #209
doyle
RallyRaidReview-ing

Oddometer: 23,004
Quote:
Originally Posted by srad600 View Post
Honestly i don't even see the need for the step nose thing, is that just me? If the nose needs to be lowered the only thing in the way of that seems to be the front suspension where it meets the chassis, and if that can be designed in a way to lower the whole assembly, then the step is no longer necessary? Maybe this is the Maclaren approach? Maybe (most likely) I'm just not seeing something...
The limit becomes one of geometry. The upper and lower wishbones have to be a certain distance apart on order for the wheel/upright to maintain the proper angles through it's movement. That said, most of this nose issue is prompted on the new rule that the nose height may not exceed 550mm due to the fact that some noses were getting too close to the cockpit minimum height of 625mm. The difference between the bulkhead/chassis placement and the nose height restriction is why the hump noses are now appearing. Simply moving the suspension down may help with CoG, but it then interferes with the aerodynamics through the massively important frontal zone which serves to channel the airflow to the most critical of areas, under the car and around the sidepods. The more 'free' area under the nose, the better they are able to control and sculpt the airflow. The last thing they want is to have to incorporate clunky suspension bits there.

doyle screwed with this post 02-07-2012 at 10:18 AM
doyle is offline   Reply With Quote