View Single Post
Old 02-08-2012, 07:10 AM   #220
doyle
RallyRaidReview-ing

Oddometer: 22,636
I'm not an official engineer but I've had some studies along that line in my day. The attraction that F1 holds for me is mostly along two fronts, the engineering/technical side and the strategic/team side. The actual racing itself is mostly a benefit as I see it, just one part of the overall display.

The way these teams approach the rules and problems and some of the sheer genius that comes out as solutions is mind boggling. I think far beyond any other form of motorsport. That is all part of the reasons why I never much cared for the overtaking debate or had a problem with pitlane passes or fuel stops. I don't like the FIA's meddling as far as madating stops or mandating that certain tire be used.

I recall a race some years back, I don't have the memory to pick out which one, but it was probably 2003 or 4 or so. Schumacher was several seconds down in second place, something like 30 seconds back or so. This was during the Ferrari years. Whomever was leading was set to pit and I recall the radio transmission of Ross Brawn telling Michael that he needed 32 seconds or so. He took off and for the next few laps simply blistered the pace. He pitted and came out just ahead into the lead. To me, the strategy of it made for one of the greatest passes. Most will scoff and mention René Arnoux vs. Gilles Villeneuve or Hakkinen at Spa. Those are great to watch for the sheer action, and car to car, there have been many greats, but to see the strategy unfold lap by lap, almost being able to see the thinking between Schumacher and Brawn, it was magical, not in a fan of MS or a Tifosi sort of way, but as a fan of strategic thinking.

All that said, I find this McLaren photo fascinating for the simply structure attached to the side. I was sure what it was but an explanation shows that it is a movable bar filled with inlets for air pressure/temp/direction sensors. I looks to be controlled by a windshield wiper motor and a couple of parallel bars to raise and lower the height. The level of technical detail is stunning.

RallyRaidReview - @RallyRaidReview
doyle is offline   Reply With Quote