View Single Post
Old 02-13-2012, 08:12 AM   #32
TowPro
Healing time Sucks

Oddometer: 2,657
I tried the touratech lever. When you slide the touratech (or stock shifter) on, the cross bolt that holds it on is made so it lines up with the relief in the shifter shaft. This way if the bolt comes loose, the shifter will not fall off (unless the bolt comes all the way out).
With the touratech the hole for the cross bolt was drilled to close to the shaft. When you slide the bolt through it binds on the shifter shaft and it cross threaded the bolt. When I went to loosen the bolt it broke off. I ended up having to drill the bolt out to get the shifter off. They exchanged it for me saying that the powder coating must have gotten into the hole. Got the new one and and it was exactly the same way.
I noticed with the shifter off the bike the bolt threads in perfectly, on the bike the bolt binds against the shaft. I called them about this and they said "BMW sources the shift shafts from different vendors, and yours must be machined wrong"
Sure. No way the touratech shifter could be drilled in the wrong spot, it has to be the BMW shifter shaft
It went back to touratech for a refund.