View Single Post
Old 02-14-2012, 12:15 PM   #1584
Marki_GSA
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 503
Quote:
Originally Posted by tyandresen View Post
It wasn't access that I was concerned with. The camhead design is already a more complex valve adjustment than my 07 Hexhead. I put on a lot of miles and wouldn't consider a camhead just for that reason. I know there have been other improvements but I'm just not willing to give up the ease of valve adjustment and being reliant on the ability to get the right shim when I need it. I am assuming that a liquid cooled version would retain much of the camhead design, including shim type adjustments. If liquid cooling stretches that adjustment interval to 26k or something in the range of competing bikes then I personally would be much more interested. I still don't like the idea of being at the mercy of being able to get the right shim when I need it. I am guessing that after some time it will probably be the exhaust valves that tend to tighten up a bit, and carrying a couple of likely shims may not be that big of a deal. If the adjustment interval goes up significantly in my mind it would be an okay trade-off.
Liquid cooling on its own won't change anything regarding clearance checks. The valve train is also not the same as the twin cam as it will be pure bucket and shim with no rockers as it is now. This should stretch the checks out although to what is anybodies guess. I would also think that the water Cooling and new valve gear could shave a bit off the width but they might have done other things like increase the stroke to widen it again.
Marki_GSA is offline   Reply With Quote