View Single Post
Old 02-14-2012, 12:49 PM   #169
LC Garage OP
On Any Sunday

Oddometer: 677
Back to Racing!

Last night was the first night I did not have any commitments to anything other than racing and boy does that feel good for a change! Racing in Baja (and our preliminary race in the Desert 100) are dominating my thoughts. I will write more regarding race prep for Baja and the D100 on OC's 2012 MK1 thread http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...=755786&page=9 , but here is an update on my old 350 twin racer.

I recently discovered that the powder coater doing all the work for Lonnie and Paul is an old school mate and dirt track racer named Don Faber. He does great work and is pretty reasonable, so any thoughts I had about sanding down & painting my frame and associated bits has pretty much gone out the window. The powder coating looks so good and is so durable, there really is no other way I'd want to go. The biggest decision will be what color? OC's bike has a black frame and looks really classic, but I also like the look of the factory silver. Hmmm....

So here is the bike when I got started last night, minus the fuel system used to get the scrambler going and also the motor as I pulled it last week to verify we can get it out (if need be) with the RH footpeg WELDED to the frame (and you can).

About an hour and half later, it was time to call it a night and have a well earned beer!

I have a lot of ideas and plans for the old girl, mainly I want it to be 100% race ready for the AHRMA Vintage MX Nationals in August (Chehalis ~ The Farm). I plan to lighten it up as much as possible and will drill more holes in it just to pi$$ OC off! The goal is to have it weigh 280 lbs or less when race ready and with one gallon of gas.