View Single Post
Old 02-14-2012, 05:29 PM   #1589
tyandresen
Banned

Oddometer: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marki_GSA View Post
I don't know anything about the f and k engines do they have rockers? If not then they aren't basically the same. There are loads more friction and ware points which is why the clearance goes out so quickly on the boxer. Unless your going round the world I don't think you need to worry about valve clearance even if they just double it. 12000 miles is a long trip even longer if it's moved to 18000. Do them as part of the prep for the trip at home and your sorted.
It would be nice if the liquid cooling and new design allows intervals of 12k or 18k. With my 07 I don't worry too much about where I will be when it's time for a service. I can easily carry the few tools needed to do it. I've done it more than once in a parking lot in a 3rd world country and it isn't a big deal. No concerns about finding the right shim or waiting for it, or finding what shim I need only to find out it isn't quickly available and having to put things back together and deal with it at a later time when the shim can be had.
tyandresen is offline   Reply With Quote