View Single Post
Old 02-15-2012, 08:57 AM   #173
LC Garage OP
On Any Sunday

Oddometer: 692
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC950 View Post
Back in the mid '90's H-D used to race AMA Superbike. While at the Pomona race I talked to one of their mechanics at length about many things . I asked him why they didn't powder coat the frame. He said it was because you can't always tell if the frame is cracked under the powder coating. He believed you could have a small crack, one not big enough to crack the powder coating itself, that could turn into a huge problem. With the thinner paint, he could see any hairline cracks.

Just some food for thought.
DC, thanks for this tip and oddly enough we experienced the opposite of this on OC's bike. On the back of his frame, above the shocks, the powder coating looked to have small cracks, but when the paint was buffed off to check, the frame was fine. With my bike being used in small duration motos, it isn't as critical as the Baja bike, so I'm gonna proceed. That being said, I do plan to go over all welds and mounting points to check and repair before powder coat. Thanks again for the heads up!

Did you race flat track? Those are my roots and I'm always up to hear any old war stories. Have you seen the four Ricky Graham videos, they are pretty cool, here is video number 1; http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aV27OoRdQGM