View Single Post
Old 02-21-2012, 05:13 AM   #15
Pantah
Patriot Nation?

Oddometer: 10,115
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowinfastout View Post
Tell me guys - I've never ridden anything west of Missouri.......is this worth hauling the 990 ADV all the way in from Virginia to do the event? I'm considering it - but its a long ways away.
You owe it to yourself to ride it there. There is nothing more spiritual than a coast/coast tour aboard your motorcycle. The rally is just an excuse to do it.

I bought my Adventure in 2005. After a couple short trips to get used to her, I rode from Boston to Monterey to watch MotoGP. Nine days of spectacular riding and 3 days of MotoGP. Nicky Hayden won. Then I stored the bike for about six weeks while I flew home. In September of that year, I rode her back home.

The route west was through the Northern Plains: Badlands, Wounded Knee, Black Hills, Little Big Horn. From Sheridan, WY it was two lane all the way to the coast. Yellowstone, Tetons, Idaho, Nevada, Yosemite and finally Carmel, CA.

The trip home took 9 days and I spent half of them poking along Southern Utah, AZ and NM: Grand Canyon, Bryce, Capitol Reef, Mexican Hat, Mokee Dugway, Monument Valley, Canyon de Chelly, Shiprock, Taos Pueblo, Angel Fire, Cimarron, and a beeline east through St Louis to Boston. Basically the Old Santa Fe Trail.

Lots of amazing places to see between the coasts. Plenty of groomed dirt roads to connect as well.

You'll be riding about three weeks to make the trip and back. I've done that before a couple times. It's a good experience.
Pantah is offline   Reply With Quote