View Single Post
Old 02-25-2012, 03:18 AM   #1
Hunsta OP
Have guns will hunt

Oddometer: 5,457
1976 DT250C Flat Tracker project.

Well its started 15 years ago. I was in a road riding club and one of the members was an old speedway rider. He had a property that had his own flat track on it and we would have BBQ days out there racing old dungers around his track. I myself had an old CB200. Damn we couldnt kill that thing, and I`d always wanted to have a go at flat track racing, but never got around to it.
Anyway a year ago, an ADV member ask me to come along to a track day at a local flat track. Man I wanted to get out there, but the young guys on modern bike were just scary to watch. Then the classic class came out and I was sold. Somewhat alittle more sedate, with pre-1977 bikes like TS250`s, Xt500, and a XR750 Harley Davidson to name a few. However its taken me a year to finally get around to getting a bike.
Another ADV member was moving and he had an excess of motorcycle in his shed(oh boy how terrible ) and ask if there were any takers. I immediately put my hand up for the DT250 he had. After some failed attempts to get the bike the 1000klm, he partly disassembled the bike and brought it down for me, on his way through to his new home. He had offered it to me free, but I gladly parted with $50.00 for the bike, as it was worth that just for his effort.

Here it is just after I but the wheels and forks back on to get a look at the bike whole. Its a bit of a bitser, but basically it is a 1976 DT250C with 1981 electrics.

The next task was to see how it ran. I intend to give the motor a full rebuild, but I just wanted to hear it go just to know that the electrics work and that when I put the thing back together again(and believe me Ive stuffed the most basic rebuild up electrically before as I electrically retarded ) and also to see how it changed gear and all.
So with some new fuel and a cleaned out carb(so I thought) I tried to kick her into life. But damn no joy. Checked the spark. It had spark, but it was kinda erattic. Checked the carb and seems when I put the bowl floats back in, I........um............ seemed to have put them in upside down, which would close off the fuel needle.. So fixed that and then still no joy. Mmmm spark, fuel, compression. What more does a 2 stroke need? Problem was the plug. Seems I could have had some hairline cracks in the inside of the ceramics and it was arcing from the diode and not the body. Never heard that one before.
So armed with a new plug and a foam pod filter I kicked her in the guts and away she roared. Dont know what was louder inside my steel shed? The unsilenced muffler or the Yeehaaa from me.
So after a few revs and putting it through the gears, it was time to get down to the serious business of the strip down. It still had the gauges, complete wiring, oil tank and switches. These will go straight to ebay as I want to make the bike pay for itself in a small way. However I do want a proper 1975-76 fuel tank for it. And Im having a hard time tracking one down. So if anyones got any leads, please PM me.

Here she is with all the excess stripped of her.

Im lucky in a few aspects of this rebiuld as I will be doing most of the work and with stuff like powder coating , Im lucky to work in an engineering shop with a huge powder coating section that never says no to me.
My hopes are to have this on the track by mid year for the local clubs practice days, then dive into the 2013 season.

So for now stay tuned.
Cheers
Craig

Heres some excess bits

Hunsta screwed with this post 02-25-2012 at 06:03 AM
Hunsta is offline   Reply With Quote