View Single Post
Old 02-25-2012, 05:49 AM   #32
Bronco638
Nobody Home

Oddometer: 3,638
Gear Shifter Leaks & Repair

When I bought my DR650, the p.o. indicated it had a (simple to fix) leak at the gear shift shaft. I pile of greasy mud, on the frame below the left rear of the motor, made it pretty easy to identify the location of the leak. After I stripped the DR to the frame (for powder coating), I de-greased the motor and discovered that the gasket under the gear shift linkage cover plate was leaking too.

Both the gasket and the seal are easy to replace. If your DR's motor is still full of oil, lean the bike to the right so the oil pools elsewhere (since my motor was out of the frame, I simply set the motor on its right side). To replace the gasket, remove the six 8mm bolts. They have varying lengths (like the clutch cover) so be sure to note their locations. When pulling the cover off, use your thumb to push down on the shift shaft. Otherwise, the shift shaft may come off with the cover. This is not a disaster but there are other parts that may become displaced because of that. The shop manual is very vague (and the image is poor) when it comes to noting the proper location of those parts. Also, the shift shaft will (or should) have a circlip on it. That keeps the thrust washer properly located. Chances are, the thrust washer is 'stuck' to the cover plate (with motor oil). Pull the thrust washer off the cover and put it on the shaft. Now you won't have to worry about losing it.

The old gasket should pop right off, especially if it was no longer sealing, like mine. Use a razor blade, or the like, to remove any remaining gasket material from both the engine case and the cover. Clean all gasket sealing surfaces with acetone, paint thinner, rubbing alcohol or the like. If you're replacing the shaft seal, now is the time to do it. Unlike wheel bearing dust seals, this seal does not need to be driven out of its bore. A small screw driver or hook pick will work just fine. Even if you're only replacing the seal, without removing the cover, a hook pick is the tool to use. Push the new seal into the bore with your thumb (honestly, it's that easy). Use a little wheel bearing grease to lubricate the seal (or the shift shaft). I prefer the Permatex "Ultra" line of RTV. All you need is a "haze" of RTV on the side of the gasket that will contact the engine case. Repeat the procedure with the cover. It's easier to apply the RTV to the cover, instead of the now in-place gasket, due to accessibility. Now, put the cover back in place and install the bolts, finger tight. Using a back-and-forth cross-zig-zag pattern tighten them with an 8mm socket and screwdriver handle (you don't need any more torque than that, a ratchet handle, even 1/4" drive, is too much). That's it, you're done.

Andy holds the lead. And he will, all the way to the Highway. Today is his day.

Bronco638 screwed with this post 02-25-2012 at 05:50 AM Reason: forgot the title
Bronco638 is offline   Reply With Quote